Sunday, January 25, 2009

Veggie Fried Rice

In the spirit of the previous posting, I must be honest. Last night, I had the best of intentions. I was going to make a Ginger Bass with Garlic Spinach recipe. But after a wonderful day spent with my brother and his wife, I realized I forgot to go to Harris Teeter, and all I could do was muster enough energy to dial for Moo Shu Veggies. So, instead of giving you the wonderful recipe I was going to try for you, I will give you my version of veggie fried rice. This recipe is more of a meal then a side, with a emphasis on veggies and healthy and less on fried. It is absolutely wonderful, but just don't forget to grocery shop before!

Ingredients:
  • 2 tb seasame oil (separated)
  • 3 large eggs beaten
  • 3 green onions chopped
  • 1.5 cup of frozen peas
  • 3 tb minced ginger
  • 4 cups of broccoli
  • 1/2 lb chopped asparagus
  • 2 carrots sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced (or get a garlic press to make your life easier forever)
  • 4 cups of spinach (at least)
  • 3 cups of cooked brown rice
  • 2 tb. of soy sace
  • 1 tb hot sauce
  • 2/3 cup of toasted sliced almonds (amazing addition)

  1. Heat wok at medium, add 1 tb of oil, Cook eggs scrambled. 2 minutes. Remove from wok.
  2. Add more oil to wok, throw in green onions and ginger. Saute until onions are soft.
  3. Stir in broccoli, asparagus, carrot, garlic, stir fry 8-10 minutes.
  4. Stir in spinach and peas, until cooked
  5. Throw in rice, soy sauce, hot sauce and almonds.
  6. Place veggie fried rice mixture in bowls with a bit of egg on top.
If you don't have a wok, you can use a large skillet. However, I recommend purchasing a wok because it is useful for many types of cooking, especially messy cooking. Since there is a lot of chopping in this meal, two people working cuts down the amount of time. It could take just 20 minutes, and there will be plenty leftover for a few workday lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment