Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Beans Beans are good for your heart....

I eat lots of beans, and no, it creates no ill-effects on my body. Over time, your body adjusts to the negative effects of beans, and if you soak your beans, you can completely rid your body of gas. In one of my extreme bean phases, in trying to build up my iron to give blood, I tried to cook a new bean recipe every other night. But I read one too many recipes. Thinking I found a golden new recipe, which sounded perfect during the summer, I cooked a gem from the Moosewood cookbook. Two hours later, I realized I made regular old baked beans, which apparently are called Boston Beans. I still shudder at the oops-I-must-be-a-complete-idiot-moment. Although, those beans were nothing like my mother's baked beans, which are famous.

I always loved her baked beans growing up, often requesting them for my birthday, but her beans are mostly famous due to an awkward moment seven years ago. At my twenty-third birthday, AAM. came to my parents house for his first meal, along with fifteen friends. We were all eating classic cookout food, including my mom's beans. All of the sudden, there was that moment of silence, the rhythmic lull in a conversation which naturally occurs every ten minutes. Right at that moment, A. loudly says to my mother in the kitchen "MRS. S. THESE ARE THE BEST BAKED BEANS I EVER HAD!" The entire group started hysterically laughing, but we all know the truth, A. couldn't be more right.

I don't have the exact recipe, but I mimicked it tonight, and we decided they were the best Boston baked beans I ever made.


Vegetarian Baked Beans
  • 2 cans of B&M Baked Vegetarian Beans
  • 1  chopped  onion
  • 1/2 cup of maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
  • 2 cups of shredded cheddar
  • 1 stick of butter

  1. Preheat the oven at350
  2. Pour beans into an oven safe casserole dish
  3. Mix in chopped red onion and syrup
  4. Melt the butter in a bowl, then mix in bread crumbs and cheese.
  5. Place cheese mixture on top of the beans
  6. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes
  7. Let cool slightly, but serve warm
Before going into the oven 














And after coming out:







    No comments:

    Post a Comment