Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A little Moules Marinières for your Bastille Day...


The Francophile that I am, I make July 14th a mandatory feast. Tonight, I purchased mussels from Slavins and Sons, a good bottle of French wine, and turned up Edith Piaf.




Moules Marinière

  • 2 bags of Mussels
  • 1 Shallot
  • 1 cup of onion
  • 8 cloves of garlic chopped
  • 1 pint of grape tomatoes sliced in half
  • 2 tb of butter
  • 2 cups of white wine, I use a white burgundy
  • pepper
  • 1/3 cup of flat leaf parsley chopped.

  1. Rinse, soak for 5 minutes, then drain the mussels.
  2. Meanwhile, saute the rest of the ingredients in a giant stockpot. Turn the heat down.
  3. De-beard the mussels, which involves taking off the small hairy part of the mussel. Any open or cracked mussels should be discarded at this point.
  4. Throw the mussels into the stockpot
  5. Cook for 2 minutes or until the mussels open.
  6. Voila! C'est fini!

Today, instead of making pommes frites, under my sister's suggestion, I went to the frozen food aisle. I am usually pretty lost in this section of the grocery store. However, next to the classic french fries I saw from childhood, sat a bag of organic fries by Alexia. No added chemicals and made with sea salt- excellent. We started cooking these before prepping the mussels, which takes only 10 minutes with two people. I drizzled olive oil infused with chilis over them before putting them in the oven, and they were crispy and ready to dip in the mussels when we were done!

Bon Appetit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment