Monday, May 17, 2010

Cinammon French Toast


As previously mentioned, I love brunch. I love omelettes and home fries. I love egg and cheese sandwiches, which was a key factor in me having emergency gallbladder surgery, and ironically the only item that got me through morning sickness. My freshman year of college, I am pretty sure I lived on bagels and grits. And due to my brother's wife, I learned to love good quality french toast.

J. came to visit us when I was in college. With my parents being out of town, she offered to make us french toast with challah bread. A fan of french toast, as well as Jewish bread products, I was amazed at the genius of it all. Of course, I now know that this is a common way to make it, but it was new to me. She sliced the bread in giant chunks, added vanilla, and served with powered sugar. J. introduced me to how to have a quality brunch at home.

I was reminded of her genius french toast the other day, when my generous Aunt brought J. and I fresh cinnamon sugar bread from a bakery in Richmond. J. looked at it and said, "Great for French Toast." So I must admit, I copied her idea. Although it is a simple recipe, in which the world probably already knows how to make, it is a nice reminder to make some good French toast.

Solid Cinnamon French Toast
  • 1 loaf of cinnamon sugar bread (can also use challah, or brioche)
  • 6 eggs*
  • 1 cup of milk or buttermilk*
  • 1 tb vanilla extract*
  • 3 tb good quality butter, I prefer kerrygold.
  • Powdered sugar
  • Quality syrup
  • Berries
*depending on the size of the loaf, you may need to double the recipe

  1. Preheat oven 200 degrees, with a pan in the oven to hold finished french toast
  2. Cut bread into 1-2 inch slices.
  3. Mix the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Pour into a shallow bowl or dish.
  4. Heat a skillet with butter
  5. While the skillet heats up, dredge your first slice slowly in the egg mixture. Let the bread really soak it up
  6. Place the bread in the skillet and brown both sides.
  7. Meanwhile, soak your next slice of bread, while the first one cooks.
  8. Warm completed french toast in the oven while you cook
  9. When done, top with sugar, syrup and berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment