Tuesday, May 11, 2010

If you had a cooking show...

So not all things about motherhood have come naturally to me. I love reading to little Serafina or making her stuffed animals dance. We take walks, and are now even going to Mommy and Me Yoga. We look at artwork and pictures of family and places we travel. However, shockingly, the one thing I don't know how to do is talk to her. The baby books say narrate what you are doing, but after the upteenth time of changing her clothes, I don't know how to make that exciting. I have spoken to many moms about it, and they all agree that it is hard to start narrating what you are doing. I realized it was a problem when Serafina jumped in surprise when I asked her a question. I hadn't spoken to her all day.

Monday night while preparing dinner, I realized that I could live my dream of having a cooking show while on maternity leave. Little Serafina sat in her vibrating chair listening to me narrate how to use a garlic press. It felt comfortable and she was happy. Maybe through these conversations she can learn to appreciate good ingredients, fine techniques, and family recipes. I started to feel hopeful about a future chef in the family. However, I decided to hold the phone on my planning her future, as she appeared more interested in the cups hanging from the spice rack above her head... I guess I need to practice wowing the audience.

1 comment:

  1. When I worked as personal assistant to a blind man for several months, I learned to narrate. What I was doing. What I was reading. Where I was driving. Every wattage of light bulb available in the aisle at Home Depot. You get the idea. Luck with your cooking show! :)

    ReplyDelete