Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bad cooking

Sometimes you just have to tell yourself that it is OK to cook a bad meal, and other times you need to apologize to the people you force to eat that bad meal. The other day I had a friend from my PhD program over for dinner. It had been ages since we saw each other, and she wanted to see the baby. Thinking I would just throw something together, I decided to cook stirfry. To say the least, it was soggy, over-flavored, and tasteless all at the same time. I did the classic host mistake, I over apologized. But see, it truly was my fault. I didn't take enough time and care into the preparation. I didn't think about how I was going to make a meal for someone else. Because of little Serafina, poor AAM deals with this flippant preparation all the time now. Why did I feel more embarrassed when a guest came over? The only reason I can come up with is that he knows that I can cook well, but I lost an opportunity to share good food with a friend. I rushed to prepare and forgot that she was going to be forced to eat a bad meal, which made me feel like a horrible friend. I tortured her with a meal, and she brought wine! I learned my lesson, to embrace even the smallest of cooking moments, and savor my friendships

1 comment:

  1. You didn't need to apologize. It was a fine meal and I'll give you another opportunity to "wow" me anytime! It was great seeing you and your family!

    ReplyDelete