Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fish Fail.

Tonight we tried the Roasted Halibut with Grapefruit Fennel Salsa from Giada, and as AAM said, let's not do that one again. 

I challenged myself to try a recipe with ingredients I normally wouldn't chose, and well grapefruit and fennel pretty much sum up that category.  I really enjoyed pulling out the hairy fennel, and chopping it up into a messy pile. The grapefruit was fun to squeeze and shred. So really, I wanted to like the recipe.

It had wonderfully exotic ideas, and should work, but we decided there were too many flavors going on. We replaced the fish with Mahi Mahi, my favorite fish that should compliment, but it was a hot mess. It was as if Giada decided, "Hey, I need a few new recipes to fill this book. What is left in the fridge that has a bland color palate, and will make your mouth pucker when they combine flavors?"

So, this would be on the do not try list.

No comments:

Post a Comment