Thursday, June 24, 2010

Linguine with Ricotta, Beans and Tomatoes

As I mentioned earlier, I am working through Giada de Laurentis' book Giada's Kitchen: New Italian Favorites. Last night we tried her Linguine with Green Beans and Ricotta recipe. Reading the recipe, I realized it lacked spice, so when I cooked the greenbeans I used cayenne infused olive oil, which gave it flavor, but I could have added red pepper flakes to help even more. I also used regular green beans and just chopped them instead of sliced them, and it was still good. After making it, AAM and I both agreed it lacked moisture. We loved the idea of the dish, but it just needed a little more creaminess. Next time I make it, I am going to mix the ricotta with some cooking water and a tablespoon of olive oil to make it less dry. Looking at the recipe on the Food Network site, it seems many people agree with us. I do think with those modifications, it can be fixed. The dish is such a good and easy weeknight meal, that it is worth keeping.

Here is the recipe, copied from Food Network's website:
Linguine with Ricotta, Beans and Tomatoes

Ingredients


  • 1 pound whole-wheat linguine
  • 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 pound French green beans, trimmed and halved lengthwise
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1 lemon, zested

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Transfer the hot pasta to a large bowl and add the ricotta cheese. Toss to combine.
Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the green beans, garlic, salt, and pepper and saute for 4 minutes. Add 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid and continue cooking until tender, about 4 more minutes. Add the pasta with ricotta to the pan with the green beans and toss to combine. Add the tomatoes and gently toss. Transfer to a serving plate and top with lemon zest. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment