Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dieting

I have never really believed in dieting. Good eating habits and regular exercise should be all that someone needs in order to maintain a healthy weight. It should not be about denying yourself food, but looking at new ways to cook and season your food so that you are eating a balanced and nutritious regime. In the past, just adjusting my exercise helped me to lose any excess weight.

Well, now dealing with my post-pregnancy body, and getting rid of the last 10 pounds, I am finding I need a reminder about portion control. Over the past year, my normal portions grew into restaurant portions, which was great for pregnant-me. However, non-pregnant me does not need all those calories to grow a baby. SO, in order to help motivate myself, I tapped into my competitive side yesterday. I downloaded an iPhone application: Lose It! The app has an easy interface.*
I add in the foods I eat, and it calculates the caloric, fat, and protein intake. What is great is that you have to enter the portion, and it shows me how much is a normal portion, which helps guide me to making smart choices. I am less likely to eat the bad food or large portion if I have to log it into the iPhone. The application reminds me of my daily goal, and tells me how many more calories I have to go to meet it.Like a reward, it lets you have more calories per day if you exercise. The key is to be very honest with yourself, and then try and meet, or beat, the daily limit. I'll let you know how it works, and hopefully I can look at this as a healthy lifestyle and not a diet. But yes, there is an app for that.

*clearly, the screen shot was not from my iPhone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment