Friday, July 23, 2010

As promised, the chicken recipes.

So, as I have explained several times, when I got pregnant I fell of the pescetarian wagon. I really had an aversion to fish, and for the first trimester I didn't want vegetables. The only thing that would satiate my horrific all-day morning sickness was chicken. So, I used the time to recall old recipes that I made when AAM and I started dating 8.5 years ago. Awhile ago, I promised some recipes, since many of my readers eat chicken, here they are. The first recipe here is a solid roast chicken, and the second is a recipe for dealing with the leftovers.


An Excellent Roast Chicken
  • 1 chicken roaster (I prefer free-range, which are smaller but also slightly more ethical)
  • 2 tb of butter at room temperature
  • 1 onion sliced
  • 2 peppers halved
  • 1 lemon rolled and forked to release juices
  • 8 garlic cloves
  • Kosher salt and ground pepper
  1. Preheat the oven at 425
  2. Wash the chicken roaster with water, and pat down with a towel
  3. Place slices of onion and peppers in the bottom of the pan.
  4. Smother the chicken with butter, put some bits of butter between the skin and the meat.
  5. Liberally sprinkle salt and pepper on the bird
  6. Put 4 cloves of garlic inside the cavity, then the lemon, then 4 more cloves of garlic.
  7. Place the chicken in the roasting pan, and cook for an hour and a half.


Chicken Salad with Almonds. 
  • 2 cups of leftover chicken chopped in 1-2 inch pieces 
  • 1 cup of mayo (you can do half a cup if you don't like alot of mayo)
  • 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
  • 1/3 cup of sharp cheddar cheese.
  • Salt/Pepper

  1. Mix the chicken, mayo, and almonds.
  2. Place them in a microwave safe container
  3. Sprinkle the cheese on top, and salt/pepper
  4. Heat for 2 minutes (or 10 minutes in the oven at 300)

3 comments:

  1. Pregnancy is so weird. First trimester all I wanted was fresh fruit, yogurt, Cheerios, and cream cheese.

    A scant 2 Tablespoons of butter for your roaster? I learned from a Southern grandma, and her recipe calls for at least 1 stick. Some massaged into the skin with salt and pepper, whole pats inserted under the skin, and a buttload of butter into the cavity. When I cooked with her I remember gasping at the amount of butter that went into one meal. I scolded her, "Grandma!" But she just giggled, and said that's why it tasted so good. Amazingly she lived to 94.

    Your chicken salad sounds really good. Sometimes I use plain or vanilla yogurt (again with the yogurt) instead of mayo. Vanilla probably wouldn't work with the cheddar...but it's good with craisens or fresh cherries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, 2 tb, doesn't sound like much, but I promise it is. I cooked this recipe several dozen times, and it is full-proof. I tend to be light on butter, but in this recipe the lemon helps balance the juiciness.

    No yogurt for this chicken salad, it is too wonderful with the mayo--but i love mayo ;)

    Barb, I love your ideas, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, dumb me...I missed the part about your chicken salad going into the oven. So clearly yogurt a bad choice. What is it about hot mayo and cheddar that can turn anything immediately into a comfort food?

    ReplyDelete